Youth Program Impact (FY 2011-12)
The EFNEP-Youth program is directed toward low-income youth ages 6-12. These students participate in a series of fun and educational lessons on good nutrition and food safety. In FY 2011-12, 8,629 youth in Cameron County participated in EFNEP as part of after school activities and summer programs.
Positive Food Behavior Changes:
The following results show how youth clients' food behaviors improved after attending EFNEP classes:
- 83% now eat a variety of foods.
- 81% increased knowledge of the essentials of human nutrition.
- 87% increased their ability to select low-cost, nutritious foods.
- 90% improved practices in food preparation and safety.
- 89% improved physical activity behavior or attitude.